Students complete their Capstone Year here at the University of Maryland during their fourth or fifth year of studies. This intensive year of Persian is designed so Advanced speakers of Persian can attain Superior level (3 on ILR scale) proficiency. To help students reach this goal, we offer many resources and different components through the Capstone program.
Components of the Capstone Year Include:
- Intensive summer study at the UMD Persian Summer Institute – Content Level (4th Year)
- Living/learning environment in the Persian House with a Persian Mentor
- Content Level Courses and Modular Courses
- Biweekly Cultural Workshops
- Language Partners for 3 hours Each Week
- Capstone Research Project
- Spring Internship
The location of the Persian Stateside Capstone Year allows students to take advantage of the close proximity to Washington, DC as well as all the resources that UMD has to offer. The DC metro area has one of the largest communities of Iranian-Americans in the United States, giving students the opportunity to participate in a rich calendar of cultural activities and also providing a great resource for students’ research and field work.
Funding from The Language Flagship supports this innovative approach to language teaching and provides scholarship support to students.