UMD Summer Language Institute
June 1 - July 31, 2020
The University of Maryland’s School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (SLLC) Summer Language Institute offers language and culture programs for Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced students of Arabic and Persian. These programs run for nine weeks and feature the following:
• Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced level training
• Time with language partners for additional support, speaking practice, and tutoring
• Competitive Summer Institute Scholarships available to help offset the cost of attendance
• A focus on building listening comprehension skills through media and current events
• Proximity to Washington, DC, allowing for a rich calendar of weekly cultural events and lectures, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with government and business professionals
• Small class sizes, a minimum of 20 contact hours per week, and dedicated faculty and staff members
Who Should Apply?
Our program is open to all talented students of Arabic and Persian (High school students, Incoming Freshmen, Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students, Military, Working Professionals, etc). The average student attending will have made a serious, long-term commitment to learning their target language, be prepared to study intensively for nine weeks, and be performing well academically at their home institution. Due to the intensive nature of the program, it will not be possible to take other courses or work during the program.
While we are unable to offer student visas to international students, we are happy to admit international students already in the U.S. on a student visa from UMD or another institution.